posted Jan 18, 2013, 5:41 AM by Erik Thiele Orberg
updated Jan 18, 2013, 6:05 AM
This Saturday we are running at the Patuxent Research Refuge North Track
Directions & Course View Larger Map
From Baltimore: Take Baltimore/Washington Parkway (Route 295) South and take the MD Route 198 exit toward Fort Meade/Laurel. Then turn left on to Route 198 heading East and travel about 2 miles. Then turn right onto Bald Eagle Drive (at the ball fields) and travel 1 mile to the North Tract Visitor Contact Station.
- Meet at 8:00am at the Visitor Center. There's plenty of parking, but you'll need to fill-out a free parking permit at the station.
- We will be running along the Wildlife loop, which goes from Bailey Bridge Marsh to Lake Allen.
- Hunting season may or may not be ongoing but we're fine as long as we keep to the Wildlife loop.
- S13.1: 12 Miles
Great job on getting so far! After this run, you've got three weeks time to recover before we raise the mileage again. Keep up the good work!
- S26.2: 16 Miles
Consider this your last "easy" regular run of the training season. The next 4 runs are all in the 18-22 Mi range, and then it's already time to taper.
The course along the Wildlife loop is very straightforward. Keep running until you hit the park boundaries (you'll hit a fence), then return to the start.
- Bring fuel (sports drinks, gels) and water.
- When going on long runs, always bring a snack to consume right after the run (bananas, energy bars, smoothies). This is the best time to replenish your muscle glycogen.
- Sign-up for carpooling here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuBzsIqyCeY2dEFHMndDOHMzRHFNRW52RGFnYUlNanc#gid=0
- Heads-up: Next Saturday, 1/26/13, we're heading to Columbia to run with the Striders at their Bagel Run. Get set for an early morning since their start time is 7 AM. The run ends at a great bagel shop, and we'll plan to meet there afterwards.