posted Aug 22, 2012, 10:52 AM by Erik Thiele Orberg
updated Aug 22, 2012, 12:23 PM
You've made it. This is the peak distance of our Spring/Summer training season. We're heading to the C&O Canal
for a whopping 22 Mi! To quote Mama Goose: "You WILL hit the wall on this run, meaning you'll reach a phase at which you have depleted all your glycogen stores in liver and muscle, but fat metabolism has not quite yet kicked in. Your body will ask you to stop running. Run through it, it only lasts 10-15 minutes, then you'll feel better."
Our destination is Carderock Recreation Area, Chesapeake & Ohio Canal National Historic Park, Potomac, MD 20854. See the map below:
- The route itself is straightforward, literally. We'll travel away from Washington, DC (upstream), past Great Falls, and continue along the towpath until you reach Violettes Lock, after approx. 11 Mi. This is the turn-around point.
- The towpath might be closed at Bear Island, in which case you will be re-rerouted via Angler's Towpath Breech Reroute. Follow the signs and you won't get lost :)
- If you'd like to turn-around sooner but don't have a GPS watch, you can keep track of your distance by looking at the mileage markers on the canal locks.
- There will be a post-longest-run celebratory breakfast in Bethesda or Rockville afterwards, location TBA. Please bring a change of clothes.
- It takes at least 1h to drive there from Baltimore, so give yourself enough time for the trip. For the same reason, we'll be starting at 8am instead of the usual 7am. Sign-up for carpooling here.
- If you decide to run the full 22 Mi, make absolutely sure you have enough water and gels. Plan to have a dinner rich in carbohydrates the night before, and make sure you get enough sleep.
- If you're new to HMT and would like to run with us this weekend, please give me a heads-up at email@example.com.