posted Sep 19, 2013, 7:58 AM by Erik Thiele Orberg
updated Sep 19, 2013, 2:38 PM
UPDATE: We meet at the southEAST, not southwest corner of the park.
Only three weeks to go to the Baltimore Marathon! This Saturday, we'll join dozens of other runners on the Baltimore Marathon supported training run, hosted by the Falls Road running store. You'll enjoy this run since it's guaranteed you'll have someone to pace with.
Let's meet at 6:45 AM at the southeast corner of Patterson Park, at the 4 o clock position of the circle around Pulaski monument, just a few steps away from the park's southwest entrance. The run starts at 7:00 am.
Gmaps link: http://goo.gl/maps/x7Qev
Course map: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/292312381
If I understood correctly, Falls Road will be distributing maps and/or turn-by-turn directions of the course beforehand. For the most part, I encourage sticking with their suggested routes - which closely follows the Baltimore Marathon - except for a few minor modifications that I've made to the 21 Mile option.
- 21 Miles including Druid Hill Reservoir and Tide Point. This modification includes a clockwise circumvention of Druid Hill reservoir. Use the last mile as cool-down.
- 17-18 Miles excluding Druid Hill Reservoir: this is the workout I recommend to our members running the Baltimore Marathon: you'll get a taste of the late-race hills without exerting yourself too much 3 weeks before the Marathon.
- 12-13 Miles excluding Druid Hill and Tide Point. Recommended distance for those training for the half marathon.
- Falls Road will be staffing three volunteer water stops: at Lake Montebello, St. Paul & 29th and Pratt/Light Street by the Inner Harbor. They'll provide water and gels. Feel free to bring your handheld water bottle as backup.
- Parking around Patterson Park can be a hassle, so plan to arrive early and give yourself enough time to find a spot.
- Although the run will be supported, there will be live traffic! Don't recklessly cross intersections and be vigilant. Where possible, run on sidewalks.
- Talk to strangers! At least those running next to you :)