posted Aug 8, 2013, 1:49 PM by Erik Thiele Orberg
updated Aug 8, 2013, 1:49 PM
We've got a great local run scheduled for this weekend. The extension of the Jones Falls Trail - which runs from the Harbor to Druid Hill Park - was just completed!
Since our route will take us through Cylburn Arboretum, we're only starting at 7:30 AM (they don't open until 8:00 AM). Meet at the Baltimore Zoo parking lot at Druid Hill Park.
View Larger Map
Marathon group, 17.5 Miles:
- The route is pretty straightforward once you are on the Jones Falls Trail: there are colors markings labelled "JF" painted on the surface, along with directional arrows.
- From the parking lot, follow the trail as in enters the backwoods of Druid Hill Park.
- Leave the park at Woodberry, take a right on Clipper Park Road, then a left at Clipper Road, which will become a dedicated trail in a bit.
- Follow the trail north and cross Cold Spring Lane.
- Once in Mount Washington, the trail will turn into Springgarden Road. Follow it and take a right on Greenspring Ave, then another right when you get to the Arboretum.
- I've never actually ran in the Arboretum, so the only advice I have is keep taking left turns. That will ensure that you are running the circumference of the park. Here's the trail map if you prefer to actually know where you're going: http://cylburn.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/cylburn_trails_map.pdf
- Return to the zoo parking lot.
- From the zoo parking lot, navigate to the reservoir and complete the loop along the southern shore. Take Wyman Park Road to Homewood, then follow San Martin Drive.
- Take San Martin Drive all the way to Univ Parkway, cross the street, and run down Linkwood Road.
- On your left you'll see a small stream, the Stoney Run. Soon a trail will appear, stay on it.
- Run on the Stoney Run trail all the way to Windhurst Ave. Backtrack to the start.
Half-marathon group, 10 Miles:
- Same as above, but once you get back to the zoo, you're done for the day. No need to run over to Stoney Run.
- This route is NOT as straightforward as some of the other ones. SO, unless you know you'll have someone that knows the route to run with for the entire thing, study the route. Print out the map or the turn-by-turn directions above.
- There's water and restrooms at Druid Hill park once you complete the loop of the reservoir. I imagine there's water and restrooms at the arboretum as well.
- Bring gels, as our with this mileage and at the runs to come, you'll be on your feet for 2h-3h and above.
- Are you training for the marathon? Absolutely DO NOT skimp on your long runs. They are the most important run of the week! If you can't make it on a Sat, plan to catch up on Sunday or earlier in the week.
- Don't forget to sign-up for carpooling!