posted Jan 30, 2014, 8:00 PM by Emily Clay
This week we're heading down to beautiful Rock Creek Park. You don't want to miss this route!
Meet at 9 AM. The address is just north of the intersection of Leland Street and Beach Drive in Chevy Chase, MD. There are a few small public parking lots. We'll congregate near the small building where Rock Creek Trail forks. We don't want anyone wandering around DC alone, so if you have a hard time finding it call me (Emily) at 276-492-8603. Sign up for carpooling here.View Larger Map
The full marathon schedule "only" calls for 20 miles this week, but if you run 21 you will be rewarded with the Lincoln Memorial! Half marathoners: your schedule calls for 13 miles this week - almost your full race distance! Of course, you are always welcome to run however many miles you please, especially since this course is an out-and-back. Here's the route: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/175157358
Full Marathon Route
- Head east from the start on Rock Creek Trail and find Beach Drive. It's mostly closed to traffic on weekends and is frequented by runners, walkers, and bikers.
- Stay on Beach as far as you can. When it opens to traffic, shift to the adjacent Rock Creek Trail, a paved path.
- You'll know you're on track when you pass a zoo on your right and loop around a hill (don't follow Beach Drive into the tunnel - cars only!).
- Stay on Rock Creek Trail as you pass the Kennedy Center on your left.
- Follow signs towards the Lincoln Memorial. This is your turn-around point (10.5 miles). You'll see the back of it from the Rock Creek Trail.
- If you're still feeling fresh, cross the road to the monument, charge up the stairs, and admire the view. I'll buy a cup of coffee or cocoa for anyone who shows me a picture of themselves at the top. (This should test if anyone even actually reads these directions!)
- Trace your steps back to the start.
Half Marathon Route
- The same as the full route, but turn around at the zoo parking lot on your right, right by the Harvard Street zoo entrance.
- Since I offered the full marathoners coffee, it is only fair for me to make the same offer to any half marathoners who show me a picture of themselves with a zoo animal. (You will have to walk/run into the zoo to make this happen - follow the signs; you can't miss it.) Of course, this step is optional!
- Retrace you steps back to the start.
- Saturday will be much warmer than our last several runs! Dress in layers to accommodate the unpredictable weather.
- There are several bathrooms and fountains in Rock Creek Park, but fewer as you approach the National Mall. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the fountains are turned off for the winter, so please consider carrying water.
- Marathoners definitely will want some calories. Half marathoners may as well. This is a good chance to test out your race day fueling strategy.
See you there!