posted Dec 5, 2013, 10:37 AM by Erik Thiele Orberg
updated Dec 5, 2013, 6:40 PM
Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving break! With three weeks to go before Christmas, we're entering one of the busiest times of the year. Nonetheless, I urge everyone to commit to these runs, the work you put in today will be essential to mastering the long runs, which really kick-in next January. Our third group run in the series will take us from Fed Hill to the Middle Branch trail and back.
Let's meet on the north edge of the Solo Gibbs Park in Fed Hill. Since there's only street-parking available, try to show-up a little earlier to make sure you find a spot. As always, we meet at 8:00 AM.
This time, the full and half-marathon training groups will run the same route, and the full group will extend beyond the start and add an extra loop around the Harbor and Fed Hill.
Route map: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com?r=6152655
- From the park, follow the Gwynns Falls Trail (GFT) south and then right just before Hamburg St. You'll descend down a ramp, then climb on a bridge which crosses over a light-rail stop.
- Cross the bridge and continue clockwise around the Raven's Stadium, then on the GFT as it merges onto Warner St.
- Shortly after, the trail enters a patch of grass and becomes the Middle Branch Trail (MBR).
- Follow MBR all the way! There are emblems painted on the floor so it's hard to loose the trail. Along the way, you'll pass by a large incinerator (pun intended), another light rail station, and many other of Baltimore's lesser known harbor "views".
- Your turn-around is the Middle Branch Park after 3 miles. It's where the path divides, just before a big gazebo-like building.
- Enjoy your run back!
- Same as above, except your turn-around is one mile further out, just after the Harborview Hospital.
- Once you return to the park, follow Hughes St east towards the waterfront. Continue along the Inner Harbor Promenade until after the HarborView Condos, then make a right on Key Highway.
- From there, turn left onto Cross St and immediately right on Covington, climb up the steps to Federal Hill and follow Warren St west.
- At Light St make a left, and soon take a right on Cross St.
- Follow Cross St all the way back to the park!
- You can easily print out the Gmap pedometer route via the print button on the bottom right. If you're prone to getting lost, please take advantage of the route map! I'm not responsible for lost runners.
- Come prepared for a chilly morning on Saturday. Bring gloves, a hat, and some winter running gear. If you're just starting out, remember to wear polyester or similar tech shirts, but not cotton, as it doesn't wick moisture very well.
- The only water fountain at this run is at Inner Harbor, and chances are it will not be functioning. Bring your own water.
- Don't forget to use our carpooling spreadsheet (link above) if you need or are offering a ride.
See you on Sat in the AM!