posted Nov 28, 2014, 7:36 AM by Emily Clay
updated Nov 28, 2014, 7:39 AM
This week we'll run in the city along the Jones Falls Trail. The trail will take us from the Washington Monument in Mt. Vernon up to Druid Hill Park.
Meet at 8 am at the Washington Monument in Mount Vernon. We'll meet just east of the monument, where the Hopkins shuttle stops for the Peabody Institute. Please be mindful about parking limits.
Route & Instructions
Half-marathon: 5 miles
- From the monument, run north on Charles Street, over I-83 and past Penn Station.
- At Lanvale Street, turn left and continue on Falls Road.
- Keep running on Falls Road and switch to the paved sidewalk on the left side of the street when it appears.
- Shortly before 2 miles, the path will cross the road. Run up the switchbacks and then turn left to cross over Falls Road and I-83 again.
- The path will lead uphill into Druid Hill Park. You will run past a swimming pool on your right and tennis courts on your left.
- At the top of the hill you will hit the reservoir. This is your turn-around point. There is also a water fountain. Head back to Mount Vernon for five miles.
Full-marathon: 10 miles. Study this map or team up with a veteran!
- Same as above until you are in Druid Hill Park.
- Instead of running up the hill and past the swimming pool, turn right on the service road and then right again.
- Continue on the paved road until you come to a three-way intersection. Take a right, through the gate, and downhill. Follow the road as it winds around the zoo. If you find yourself running out of road or heading into a residential area, you made a wrong turn. Go back and try the other way.
- At mile 4 you should hit more switchbacks. Run up them and continue straight through the T intersection. At this point, you're on the Jones Falls Trail and can follow the signs that say "Bike Route" or the green ovals painted on the ground to the reservoir.
- You will reemerge from the path onto Crow's Nest Road by the disc golf course. Switch to the sidewalk and run through the course. It will take you past the zoo and the botanical gardens (still following "Bike Route" signs).
- Cross Swann Drive and zig-zag your way down to the reservoir. Run counterclockwise around the reservoir, with the water on your left.
- Once you've done almost one full lap around the reservoir, you will see a monument to Columbus. Leave the road, run past the monument, and turn right on Swann Dr/East Dr.
- This road will lead you back to the tennis courts, the swimming pool, and the entrance to the park. Retrace your steps back down the switchbacks, onto Jones Falls Trail, and back to Mount Vernon