posted Nov 7, 2012, 10:22 AM by Erik Thiele Orberg
updated Nov 7, 2012, 12:06 PM
This Saturday we're running on the Gwynns Falls Trail, a really nice route in the heart of (West) Baltimore.
Start & Directions
Now that our mileage is increasing, we'll be starting earlier, at 8:00am.
See driving map below. If you're coming from Downtown, take 40W to Cooks Lane then look for the Park & Ride signs. You can easily park at the I-70 Park & Ride lot.View Larger Map
If you have a Garmin watch, I strongly uploading the course to your watch so that you have directions on the go. If not, please consider printing out the map or turn-by-turn directions, which you'll find below:
- From the trail-head at the parking lot, follow the trail as it winds North and pass over the first bridge on your right to Franklintown Rd.
- Follow this road until the trail enters the woods on your left, after approx. .5 Mi.
- Continue on the trail, descend along switchbacks and keep East as it follows Franklintown Rd.
- Soon after Mi 1.5 you'll cross a bridge and then come upon some more switchbacks. Keep right.
- Shortly before Mi 2 you'll hit a divide before another bridge, stay left and follow the trail to cross over the river soon after.
- After another .5 Mi, you'll take a left and start heading North when the trail hits a closed-off road, soon after crossing another bridge.
- Stay on this road until you hit traffic crossing Gwynns Falls on Windsor Mill Road. Take a right, cross the bridge and keep right to head back into the woods. This is the turn-around point for S13.1.
- Follow the trail, now a dirt-trail, for another .5 Mi until it intersects with another trail going North to South. Keep going straight - stay eastbound.
- Next, the trail will take you back to the concrete jungle along one sharp descent as you hit Franklintown Rd once again. Take a left to stay eastbound.
- Follow the trail as it steers in a southeasterly direction until you hit a baseball field. Run along the perimeter and follow the course of the river to stay on track.
- At Mi 6, you'll pass underneath a railroad bridge as you cross Baltimore St. Make your way to the other side of the street to pick-up the trail again.
- Next, you'll hit Frederick Ave, make a right, cross over to the other side and take a left as you clear the bridge to arrive at Gwynns Falls Park.
- S26.2, this is your turn-around point. There's a water fountain at the park but no guarantees that it's operational.
- If you want to extend your, you can add 2 Mi by following the trail to Carroll Park and back.
As usual, bring water. S26.2, now that we're running further than half-marathon distance, remember to bring nutrition (i.e. gels).
I recommend taking you phone on this route in case you get lost. I'll have mine with me for emergencies - we can trade numbers at the start.
Please take the time to familiarize yourself with the route or print turn-by-turn directions. It's a great trail but it's got some tricky turns and I don't want anyone getting lost.