posted Jan 30, 2013, 11:33 AM by Erik Thiele Orberg
updated Jan 30, 2013, 1:04 PM
We're heading to the C&O Canal
! Due to the longer drive, we will only be meeting at 9:00 AM
To quote Mama Goose: "You WILL hit the wall on this run, meaning you'll reach a phase at which you have depleted all your glycogen stores in liver and muscle, but fat metabolism has not quite yet kicked in. Your body will ask you to stop running. Run through it, it only lasts 10-15 minutes, then you'll feel better."
Our destination is Carderock Recreation Area, Chesapeake & Ohio Canal National Historic Park, Potomac, MD 20854. See the map below:
View Larger Map
- We'll travel away from Washington, DC (upstream), past Great Falls, and continue along the towpath for 10 Mi. The turn-around point will be around a Mi after Pennyfield Lock.
- The towpath is closed at Bear Island, in which case you will be re-rerouted via Angler's Towpath Breech Reroute. Follow the signs and you won't get lost :)
- If you'd like to turn-around sooner but don't have a GPS watch, you can keep track of your distance by looking at the mileage markers on the canal locks.
- There will be a post-run breakfast in Bethesda or Rockville afterwards, location TBA. Please bring a change of clothes.
- It takes at least 1h to drive there from Baltimore, so give yourself enough time for the trip. For the same reason, we'll be starting at 9:00 am.
- If you decide to run the full 20 Mi, make absolutely sure you have enough water and gels. Plan to have a dinner rich in carbohydrates the night before, and make sure you get enough sleep.
- It pays off to carpool if you're planing on coming to this run. Sign-up using the link at the top of this page.