posted Aug 11, 2015, 7:08 AM by Sarah Ouadah
updated Aug 11, 2015, 7:09 AM
This week we're back on the Gwynns Falls Trail, but starting at the opposite end and running towards downtown Baltimore. You won't even realize you're in west Baltimore on this shaded, hilly route. Everyone will step up 1 mile from last week with half-marathoners running 9 miles and marathoners running 16. If you haven't been already, it's time for the marathoners to start bringing calories along the way. Carry some energy gels, nuts, skittles, gummy bears, or your preferred running snack, and of course plenty of water!
We'll meet at 8 am
at the Park & Ride lot at I-70 and Security Boulevard. If you're coming from central Baltimore, take 40 West to Cooks Lane and then look for the Park & Ride sign. As always, sign up for carpooling
if you need a ride or can provide one.
THIS ONE IS EASY TO GET LOST. So I highly recommend you print out and carry the map or the turn-by-turn directions (below).
- From the parking lot, follow the trail as it turns north and passes over a bridge to Franklintown Rd.
- Follow Franklintown Road until Gwynns Falls trail enters the woods on your left (about 0.5 mi).
- Stay on the trail, go down the switchbacks, and continue as it follows Franklintown Rd.
- Soon after 1.5 miles you'll cross a bridge and hit more switchbacks. Keep right.
- Shortly before 2 miles you'll hit a fork before another bridge. Stay left and follow the trail to cross over the river soon after.
- At 2.4 miles you'll take a left and start heading north when the trail hits a closed-off road, soon after crossing another bridge.
- Stay on this road until you hit Windsor Mill Road. Take a right, cross the bridge, and keep right to head back into the woods.
- Follow the trail for another half mile until it intersects another trail. Do not turn, keep going straight (3.65 miles).
- Continue on the trail, through the 4-mile mark. At 4.45 miles there is a hairpin turn and you'll now be running along Morris Road. This is the turnaround for the half-marathoners.
- The trail will take you back to the city along one sharp descent as you hit Franklintown Rd again. Take a left to stay eastbound.
- Follow the trail as it runs southeastward until you hit a baseball field. Turn right to run along the perimeter and follow the river.
- At mile 6, you'll pass underneath a railroad bridge as you cross Baltimore St. Make your way to the other side of the street to pick up the trail again.
- Next you'll hit Frederick Ave. Make a right, cross over to the other side, and take a left as you clear the bridge to arrive at Gwynns Falls Park.
- The full marathoners will turn around at mile 8. There's a water fountain at the park, but no guarantees it works.