posted Jul 28, 2015, 12:30 PM by Sarah Ouadah
updated Jul 28, 2015, 1:37 PM
This week we'll be exploring one of Baltimore's hidden treasures. Unless you've come on this run before, you've probably never been this far south in the city! The Gwynns Falls Trail network stretches from the western end of the city, into the Inner Harbor, and south to Cherry Hill Park, where we'll meet this week. Remember it's August and the forecast says hot - bring water. We'll have our first team breakfast of the season after the run at Claire's place in Mount Vernon. RSVP if you are able to come, directions to her place will be given at the run.
We'll meet in the parking lot in Cherry Hill Park at the usual 8 AM
this week. Sign up for carpooling
if you need or can give a ride!
Route & Instructions
This is an out and back route. The half marathoners will turn around after 3.5 miles for a total of 7, and the marathoners will turn around at Federal Hill Park for a total of 10 miles. You may want to carry a copy of the map, especially for marathoners running through Federal Hill.
- Follow the signage for the Gwynns Falls Trail. Look for green ovals painted next to arrows on the paths, roads, and sidewalks. Also keep an eye out for signs that say "Bike Route". For the first 3 miles or so, there are posts with mileage every 1/4 mile. Some of the sections are more scenic than others, but don't be deterred.
- A little after 3 miles, you've been following the ovals on Annapolis Road, which ends at Russell Street. Almost immediately (right before the BP), you will turn right off of Russell Street onto a paved bike path section (still the Gwynns Falls Trail). This is marked, but people tend to miss it.
- Follow the GF trail around the bike path and down Werner Street until you arrive at M&T Bank Stadium. You will now stop following the ovals.
*** Half-marathoners turn around when the bike path section (that you entered by the BP) ends at Werner Street ***
- Turn right and circle M&T Bank Stadium (following the Raven's Walk) halfway.
- Make a right onto Hamburg Street.
- Follow Hamburg Street over the tracks, under the Freeway, and into Federal Hill. Hamburg is offset slightly to your left when you cross Charles Street.
- Make a left onto William Street. Run one block.
- Make an immediate left onto Warren Street. Run one block.
- Take the southwest entrance into Federal Hill Park.
- Run up the hill and around the top to get a rewarding view of the Inner Harbor and Baltimore skyline.
- Turn around and trace your steps back