posted Jul 5, 2013, 5:52 AM by Erik Thiele Orberg
updated Jul 5, 2013, 5:52 AM
This is a cool route starting at Lake Montebello - a reservoir in North Baltimore that the Baltimore Marathon and Half routes pass by. In the race, the flats around Lake Montebello will a welcome relief from the hills you'll have just finished climbing.
Meet at 7:00 AM at Lake Dr, at the South end of the reservoir. There is always plenty of parking.
10 Miles (marathon training):
- Start at the South end of the reservoir and continue counter-clockwise until you get to an intersection leading to Harford Road.
- Cross Harford Road and take an immediate left onto the path that heads to the river and then takes a right.
- Follow this path along the Back River downstream. Continue for about 2 Mi until the path ends and turn back. *
- Go back all the way until Harford Road, but instead of heading back towards the Lake take the bridge underneath the road and follow the downstream path on the opposite side of the river.
- This path is much shorter, you'll turn around after approx. 1 Mi.
- Make your way back to the Lake and continue running counter clockwise.
- Soon you'll see a side road leading towards Morgan State U (McCallum Dr), follow this path until you reach the campus then turn-around.
- Continue along the reservoir until you get back to the cars. Loop around 1 more time for a total of 10.15 Mi.
6 Miles (1/2 marathon training):
- This one is easy. Just follow the above directions up to the asterisk above (*). Once at the end of the Herring Run Trail, just make your way back to the start for a total of 6 Mi.
- There's water at the Lake, but we won't hit it until Mi 9, so make sure to bring your own.
- Track workouts and tempo runs are not just for the pros. Runners of any level can benefit greatly from interval workouts if done right. Read more in a recent article on the NYT, along with the references to the most relevant studies: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/24/the-rise-of-the-minimalist-workout/
- If you need a ride or are offering to give one, please sign-up for carpooling via the link at the top of this page.