posted Jun 27, 2013, 11:27 AM by Erik Thiele Orberg
updated Jun 27, 2013, 11:42 AM
This run will help you prepare for the hills you're bound to encounter when running at the Baltimore Running Festival in just over 14 weeks! We'll follow the Jones Falls Trail from the Monument around the Zoo and back.
Meet at 7:00 AM at Mt. Vernon Place park (just North of the Washington Monument):
View Larger Map
- Please take a close look at the route map above or via this link: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/235219615
- From Mt Vernon Square, head north along Cathedral and make your way towards Maryland Ave bridge as it crosses I-83.
- After the crossing, bear left onto Falls Road and continue along the Jones Falls Trail until you reach a series of switchbacks that will take you to the Wyman Park Dr bridge and across I-83.
- Once in Druid Hill park, take the first right - just before the pool - to the back roads. Follow this hilly stretch until you rejoin the Jones Falls Trail at Parkdale Ave.
- Bear left onto the Jones Falls Trail as it circumvents the Zoo and makes its way towards the reservoir. Once you reach Mansion House Dr, cross to the reservoir loop and proceed along its southern perimeter.
- Complete 1 full loop until you get back to Mansion House Drive and get on East Drive. Follow eastbound East Dr until it becomes Wyman Park Dr.
- Cross I-83 and get back on the switchbacks, then retrace your steps to return to Mt. Vernon Park.
- Follow the route above. Your turn-around point is just after passing the pool, where Red Rd meets Mountainpass Rd.
- There's water at the tennis courts (across from the pool) at Druid Hill Park.
- As you begin running longer distances in the heat, please remember that hydration is essential. Loss of even a few % of body water translates into impairment of your exercise performance. It's not unusual to loose in excess of 1.5 L/hour when running in the heat. Remember to continue hydrating after a run, and prepare by hydrating well throughout the week as you train during the summer.
- Along those lines, think about bringing GU, salt tabs or Gatorade to replenish some of the electrolytes lost by sweating.
- If you need a ride or are offering to give one, please sign-up for carpooling via the link at the top of this page.