posted Mar 29, 2016, 5:19 AM by Sarah Ouadah
updated Mar 29, 2016, 5:45 AM
This week we're running on the west Gwynns Falls Trail, a hidden gem in Baltimore. Half marathoners are scheduled to run 12 miles and full marathoners are set to run 15, but this is an out-and-back run so feel free to run the distance you wish. Remember to bring water and a source of calories, and sign up for carpooling if you need a ride to the start.
For those interested in grabbing breakfast after the run, the team will reimburse your purchase (within reason) if you send in your receipt!
We'll meet at 8:00 am at the I-70 Park & Ride. If you're coming from central Baltimore, take 40 W to Cooks Lane and then look for the Park & Ride sign.
- Find the trail head at the back of the parking lot. There is a large sign with a map of the trail. Be sure to look it over before you head out.
- From the parking lot, follow the trail as it turns north then east and passes over a bridge to Franklintown Rd.
- Follow Franklintown Road until Gwynns Falls Trail enters the woods on your left (about 0.5 mi).
- Stay on the trail, go down the switchbacks, and continue as it follows Franklintown Rd.
- Soon after 1.5 miles you'll cross a bridge and hit more switchbacks. Keep right.
- Shortly before 2 miles you'll hit a fork. Stay to the right.
- At 2.4 miles the trail hits a closed-off road. Take a left and start heading north on this road.
- Stay on this road until you hit Windsor Mill Road. Take a right, cross the bridge, and keep right to head back into the woods.
- Follow the trail for another half mile until it intersects another trail. Do not turn, keep going straight (3.65 miles).
- Continue on the trail, through the 4 mile mark. At 4.45 miles there is a hairpin turn and you'll now be running south along Morris Road.
- Turn left onto Franklintown Road, cross to the other side and follow the trail as it runs southeastward until you hit a baseball field. Turn right to run along the perimeter and continue on the trail, following the river.
- When you exit the woods at Baltimore St, you'll see a railroad bridge crossing over the street. This is the 6 mile point and your turn around.
- First 6 miles same as above.
- At mile 6, you'll pass underneath a railroad bridge as you cross Baltimore St. Make your way to the other side of the street to pick up the trail again.
- Next you'll hit Frederick Ave. Cross over to the other side, make a right, and take a left after you clear the bridge to arrive at Gwynns Falls Park.
- Continue through the park and after crossing Wilkens Ave, make a left the veer right to follow the trail back into the woods.
- Continue until you reach the 2nd covered bridge. This is the 7.5 mile point and your turn around.