posted Mar 21, 2016, 7:28 AM by Sarah Ouadah
updated Mar 22, 2016, 6:09 AM
This week we're ramping up the mileage with a long run from Mt Vernon to Lake Roland. Half marathoners are scheduled to run 11 miles and full marathoners are set to run 20, but this is an out-and-back run so feel free to run the distance you wish. Remember to bring water and a source of calories, and sign up for carpooling if you need a ride to the start.
For those interested in grabbing breakfast after the run, the team will reimburse your purchase (within reason) if you send in your receipt!
We'll meet at 8:00 am at the John Eager Howard Statue in Mt Vernon.
- From the start, head north on Charles St and turn left at Lanvale St to get onto Jones Falls Trail (0.7 mi).
- Continue on the trail (look for the blazes) and turn right at Wyman Park Dr, towards the Homewood campus (2 mi).
- Follow Wyman Park Dr to the Homewood campus and make your way through the campus up to University Pkwy (alternatively follow San Martin Dr to University Pkwy).
- Turn right onto Linkwood Rd, crossing University Pkwy (3.6 mi).
- At Overhill Rd, take the dirt path on the left side of the road to get onto Stony Run Trail (4 mi).
- Follow the trail, crossing Cold Spring Ln (4.25 mi) and Wyndhurst Ave (4.9 mi), and passing the sports fields behind the Gilman School.
- The turn around is when you reach Northern Pkwy at 5.5 miles. Make your way back to the start the way you came.
- First 5.5 miles same as above.
- Turn left onto Northern Pkway (5.5 mi), right onto Roland Ave (5.7 mi), and left onto Lake Ave (6.2 mi).
- Turn right onto Hollins Ave (6.7 mi) and make your way down the hill and into Lake Roland Park.
- In the park, cross the bridge and take the paths that head to the right. When the paved path ends, continue on the trail behind the dog park (7.4 mi).
- Follow the trail to Falls Rd (9.4 mi). There may be forks in the path, but they all lead to the same place. Turn right onto Falls Rd and continue north on the road until the intersection with Brightfield Rd at 10 mi, right before the bridge going over the Beltway.
- Turn around and make your way back to the start the way you came.