Two weeks to go to your goal race! Time to get excited!
The route this week is a challenging 10 mi or 14 mi loop through some of the streets of North Baltimore. The challenging part about it will be not getting lost - so make sure to run with somebody who knows the route or absolutely bring a map. Since we'll be a running a good part of it on roads, remember to always run against
traffic and on the left side of the street when there is no sidewalk available. Feel free to err on the side of caution and bring your reflective vest.
Let's meet at the Gilman High School parking lot at 8:20 AM. This is the parking lot accessible from Northern Parkway, your first right after Roland Avenue, directly under a pedestrian bridge. The run starts at 8:30 AM.
Gmaps link: http://goo.gl/maps/UYVQ4
Here they are:
Ok, so the 10 mi option is really a little over 10 and the 14 mi a little under. Since we'll be starting and finishing at Gilman high school, you can hop on their track for extra loops until hitting your desired mileage. Alternatively, you can run an extra loop around the reservoir. However, with only 2 weeks to go to Shamrock, be conservative.
The only difference between the two routes is that the marathon group will take a right on Clipper Park Rd where the half group takes a left. For the half group it's a straight shot down Falls Road to the switchbacks leading up to Wyman Park Drive bridge, while the full group will tackle the Druid Hills and loop around the reservoir. At Wyman Park Drive, both routes rejoin and follow Roland Avenue back to Gilman.
- There are restrooms and water at Cylburn Arboretum (theoretically), Druid Hill reservoir (definitely) and Gilman (maybe).
- Print out the route map.
- Seriously, don't risk getting lost, just bring a route map.
- Be careful on the Jones Falls Trail switchbacks when entering Druid Hill Park - there were some icy patches when I last checked (and fell).
- Keep an eye on the weather forecast and dress accordingly!
- Also, Greg's Bagels or Atwaters at nearby Belvedere Square make for great post-run breakfast locations!