posted Feb 21, 2013, 12:30 PM by Alex Fuller
updated Feb 23, 2013, 12:24 PM by Erik Thiele Orberg
This week we're heading down to Rock Creek Park for the last long run of the season. Only three weeks to go!
Meet at 8 AM. The address is roughly the intersection of Leland Street and Beach Drive in Chevy Chase, MD. We'll congregate near the small building where Rock Creek Trail forks. Need a ride, or willing to give rides? Sign up for carpooling here.
View Larger Map
- Head east from the start on Rock Creek Trail and find Beach Drive. It's usually closed to traffic on weekends, and you'll log most of your miles on this road.
- Stay on Beach as far as you can. When it opens to traffic, shift to the adjacent Rock Creek Trail.
- You'll know you're on track when you pass a zoo on your right and loop around a hill (don't follow Beach Drive into the tunnel - cars only!).
- Stay on Rock Creek Trail as you pass the Kennedy Center on your left.
- Follow signs towards the Lincoln Memorial. This is your turn-around point (10.5 miles).
- Reflect on the political genius of Lincoln and the complexity of the world around you. Then turn around and run back.
The weather report calls for rain on Saturday, so dress accordingly. And remember to carry water and food with you on the run. Post-run brunch TBD.