posted Jan 1, 2015, 9:50 AM by Alex Fuller
updated Jan 1, 2015, 9:54 AM
We’ll kick off 2015 with a long run through Gwynns Falls Park. The half marathoners will run 7 miles and the marathoners will step it up to 14 miles.
We'll meet at 8:00 am
at the I-70 Park & Ride near Security Boulevard. If you're coming from central Baltimore, take 40 W to Cooks Lane and then look for the Park & Ride sign. Sign up for carpooling
if you need a ride or can provide one.
- From the parking lot, follow the paved trail over the Ingleside bridge and onto Franklintown Road.
- The trail will enter the woods on your left at about 0.5 mile.
- Go down the switchbacks at 1 mile and continue parallel to Franklintown Road.
- After the second set of switchbacks, turn right and then left to follow the trail around the parking lot (2 miles).
- Turn left at 2.4 miles to follow the closed road north.
- Turn right at Windsor Mill Road, cross the bridge, and follow the trail back into the woods (3 miles).
- Continue straight through the intersection at 3.65 miles. This is the turnaround point for the half marathoners.
- Continue downhill next to Morris Road at 4.5 miles. At the intersection with Franklintown Road, turn left, cross Morris Road, and run under the bridge.
- Follow the trail across Franklintown Road, then turn right and follow the trail behind the baseball fields.
- Run under the railroad bridge at 6 miles, then cross Baltimore Street to pick up the trail again.
- When you hit Frederick Avenue, cross the road and turn right, run over the bridge, and then turn left back onto Gwynns Falls Trail.
- The turnaround point (7 miles) is next to the red brick school building, just before you hit Wilkens Avenue.