posted Feb 4, 2015, 6:59 PM by Sarah Ouadah
updated Feb 5, 2015, 7:08 AM
This Saturday we're heading to BWI to run the loop around the airport. This is a nicely paved path will rolling hills, grazing horses, and the added excitement of watching the planes taking off and landing. Even better, Lisa will be providing us with breakfast at her place after the run! Details will be provided on Saturday, RSVP here
Meet at 8 am
at the Thomas Dixon Aircraft Observation Area on Dorsey Road, about a 25 minute drive from Baltimore. There should be plenty of parking. Remember to sign up for carpooling
if you need a ride or can provide one.
View Larger Map
Marathoners will run the loop twice for a total of 21.2 miles, and half marathoners will run it once for 10.6 miles.
For the most part, the BWI Loop is well marked. Stay on the asphalt path and follow the signs for "Bike Route"
. However there are a few tricky turns
where you might be tempted to make a wrong turn. Please refer to the map
above to make sense of these instructions.
- Right after mile 3: The BWI trail makes a left to follow Stoney Run Road (an overpass), and then an immediate, downhill right to follow Aviation Blvd. This is pretty well marked but it's still easy to miss the turn.
- A little after mile 4: The trail approaches the parking garage by the Amtrak station, but takes a right into the woods before you get there. This is easy to miss because the trail is on the left side of Amtrak Way, which you have to cross to make the turn off. Turn around if you get to the garage!
- Shortly before mile 5: The trail forks - go left, away from the airport.
- A little after mile 9: Don't miss the turn off of Stewart Ave! This maneuver is well marked, but it's another turn people miss.
- There aren't any water fountains on this route, so bring your own fluids. People running 2 loops will also need calories (energy gels, granola bars, skittles, etc).
- The weather for Saturday looks dry and much warmer than our last few runs with a high of 48 F which makes for happy runners, but all the more important to bring water with you.
- There are porta potties located near the meet up area, perfect for a quick mid-run break.
See you out there,